HEALTH AND WELLNESS
Why Do We Struggle?
Have you ever struggled with maintaining a healthy lifestyle or achieving wellness goals? Common wellness challenges may arise due to unhealthy lifestyle choices, inadequate nutrition, sedentary habits, and lack of regular exercise. Stressful work environments, poor sleep patterns, and an imbalance between work and personal life can also negatively impact overall well-being. In some cases, underlying health conditions or chronic diseases may contribute to wellness challenges. Health coaches address these causes by guiding individuals to make positive behavior changes, encouraging healthy habits, and providing education on nutrition and physical activity. They also offer support in managing stress and finding a sustainable balance between different aspects of life.
Common wellness challenges that people need help with:
Weight management and nutrition
Establishing regular exercise routines
Stress management and relaxation techniques
Creating healthy habits and lifestyle changes
Managing chronic health conditions
Improving sleep quality
Enhancing overall energy and vitality
Developing a positive body image and self-esteem
Dealing with emotional eating and food cravings
Establishing a work-life balance that supports wellness
1. What is psychotherapy?Psychotherapy, also known as talk therapy or counseling, is a collaborative process between a trained therapist and an individual seeking support. It aims to explore thoughts, emotions, behaviors, and experiences to promote personal growth, emotional well-being, and address specific concerns. Psychotherapy encompasses various approaches, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, psychodynamic therapy, and humanistic therapy, tailored to meet the individual's needs.
2. How long does psychotherapy last?The duration of psychotherapy varies depending on several factors, including the individual's goals, the complexity of their concerns, and their progress throughout the therapeutic process. Some individuals may benefit from short-term therapy, consisting of a few sessions or weeks, to address specific issues or provide immediate support. Long-term therapy may span several months or years, focusing on deeper exploration and ongoing personal development. The therapist and individual collaborate to determine the appropriate duration of therapy based on their unique circumstances.
3. How do I find the right therapist for me?Finding the right therapist involves considering several factors. It's important to seek a licensed and qualified therapist with expertise in the specific concerns you want to address. You can ask for recommendations from trusted sources, such as healthcare professionals or friends who have had positive experiences with therapy. Online directories and therapist matching platforms can also help you find therapists in your area. Additionally, it's crucial to feel comfortable and have a good rapport with your therapist, so scheduling an initial consultation or phone call to assess the fit is recommended.
4. Do you accept insurance?For mental health issues, we accept Blue Cross Blue Shield and affiliates (CareFirst, Anthem, BCBS Federal Employee Program, etc.) and Cigna or Evernorth. HOWEVER, please note that to qualify for insurance benefits, therapy must be related to a mental health diagnosis, like anxiety, depression, PTSD, etc., that has medical necessity. Most insurance plans do not cover relationship or sexual issues. Yes, it is sad considering that these are often the primary drivers for mental health issues. Please do not ask us to bill your insurance for relationship or sexual issues without first contacting your insurance company to check to see if your plan covers it. (We don't want to keep asking them.) Also, we cannot make up a diagnosis either, as this is insurance fraud and can cost us our license and result in serious penalties. Plus, insurance companies occasionally audit psychotherapy notes to ensure that treatment is related to the reported diagnosis. You can always choose to skip insurance and pay for therapy out of pocket. This will maximize your privacy and widen your pool of therapists. Thank you for your understanding.
5. Is psychotherapy confidential?Confidentiality is a fundamental principle in psychotherapy. Therapists are legally and ethically bound to maintain the privacy and confidentiality of the information shared during therapy sessions. However, there are a few exceptions to confidentiality, such as when there is a risk of harm to oneself or others, child or elder abuse, or when a court order requires the disclosure of information. Your therapist should explain their confidentiality policy and any exceptions during the initial sessions.
Health and Wellness Coaching
Coaching is all about helping you live the best life possible for you. To do that, most people find there needs to be some improvements in their way of living, their lifestyle. However, making changes can be challenging when you must do it all by yourself. In health and wellness coaching, we are not going to tell you what to do and give you a pre-made wellness plan. Instead, together we can co-create a plan to help you succeed at making the lifestyle improvements that you want to make.
We will work with you to get very clear about where you are at with your health and well-being right now. We’ll help you take stock of that by exploring together, using some coaching tools that will help give you a more complete picture, and by going over the lifestyle improvement recommendations you’ve gotten from treatment professionals. Then we’ll work together to help you form a clear picture of the kind of life you want to live, your healthiest life possible for you. We’ll compare where you’re at and where you want to be and together form a solid plan to help you get there.
Once we have a plan, we work together as allies to help you be accountable to yourself and follow through on the steps you need to take on a regular basis to help you achieve the goals you have in your plan. We support you throughout the journey. We are there to help you strategize how to overcome the barriers that come up so that you can live the healthy life you want. We will help you become self-sufficient in your wellness, to be able to live a healthy life in a completely sustainable way. Together, coaches can help you find sources of support that will make your changes last.
A health coach can be your partner in achieving holistic well-being. From weight management and nutrition guidance to developing sustainable exercise routines and stress management techniques, a health coach can provide personalized strategies tailored to your unique needs and circumstances. With their expertise and support, you can overcome barriers and create positive, lasting changes for a healthier and happier life.
About Dr. Luttrell
Dr. Luttrell personally understands the value of health and wellness coaching, as he worked with his own coach for several years to improve his health. Dr. Luttrell can help you to be your best self by supporting you as you reconnect with yourself and your support system.
“Dr. Thomas Luttrell was a compassionate coach and asked me probing questions which allowed me to go deeper into my situation and explore other depths to my issue I was not aware of. I could tell he was listening well and challenged me in the ways I needed to be challenged. I definitely had some breakthrough in our session and am grateful for the experience.”
Julie Mangus, LPC-MHSP
Select the Subject of Interest
Specify the issue you are interested in learning more about.
Unsure? Book a Call
Free 10-Minute Telephone Consultation
If you have any questions about our services, you can call us for a free 10-minute phoneconversation. There also may be times when you need to talk on the phone outside ofour regular appointment times. In case of an emergency, you may contact your coach fora telephone consult. If the call takes longer than 10 minutes, the time used will be chargedour regular fee, prorated in 15-minute blocks. All fees are subject to change.